Home Renovation Projects are usually costly affairs but it can be achieved without breaking your budget, by smart planning & following some tried and tested ideas.
Setting a Realistic Renovation Budget
• Setting a realistic budget is one of the first basic things you can start with. Budgets can easily spiral out of control in home renovation projects. So, one should talk with other experienced renovators about their experiences, their costs & also ask the tradesmen for quotes on jobs & materials. 5% of the purchase price of the property is a good guide to start with.
For eg:-$400k property =$20k Renovation Budget
Some common things to remember when doing the Renovation:
• The inside of your apartment or house should set the right mood.
• The cheapest and most effective way one can give their rooms a lift is with paint. Simply add, update or paint the front fence to create the perfect frame for the property.
• Use Neutral colours on walls and ceilings.
• Add a new door or simply do the door repaint and replace the locks and handles
• For Floors, the best & easiest way is polished floors. One can also contact a flooring (carpet /vinyl) consultant to pick the right style for your individual situation.
• The kitchen can be one of the most expensive things to renovate. One can update kitchen cupboards by repainting with laminate paint. Replace old door handles with new one.
• Your main aim in the bathroom should be to make them look Bigger, Brighter and Cleaner.
• Paint bathroom walls white and repaint ugly tiles with Tub and Tile paint.
• One can throw away the shower curtain and add a glass shower screen as this will give a lighter bigger feel to the room.
• For Bedrooms, add new carpet to match the decor. Also one can add touches of color from bed linen in shades to compliment the room.
• One can add easy maintained plants in tall pots just outside the doors to create a feeling of their own private garden.
By keeping in mind above mentioned points, one can do the home renovation within their specified budget & time frame. If you get into some trouble, have the Plan ‘B’ ready to finish in time. Also One needs to do more DIY (Do it yourself) to save funds & scout for cheaper materials.